Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Threety-3

This is a silly post. A somewhat frivolous post. Perhaps a slightly vain post because I'm writing about myself...

But, oh well!

I had a birthday.

For me, it happens every year on April 28th at 8:48 P.M. It could have happened sooner, but when do I ever do anything on time? My mother reports that that day was the FOURTH time she'd gone in to be induced. I'd been due to come 3 weeks earlier. (And
oh how grateful this makes me that doctors don't let a woman go so long past her due date anymore!)

Waaaay back in 1993, I put together a photo album for a Personal Progress project in Young Women at church. Personal home computers were still not the norm and so I went to my Uncle Jim's house to use his. He helped me with some of the title pages for each section and it made me laugh when for the section containing pics of my birthday over the years he put this:

"Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest!"

So for that reason, I am thankful each year to reach another birthday. Getting older is a blessing despite the grays sneaking into the brown of my hair and the crinkly lines beginning around my eyes. Let's be honest. I still fight pimples every once in a while, so that keeps me feeling youthful, right? haha

My day started with wishes for a happy day from my children and husband. Ross and Samantha headed out the door and while the kids watched Sesame Street, I indulged myself by finding some romantic movie quotes I've been wanting for a while. Find of the day? From The Princess Bride, Westley and Buttercup saying this:


"Hear this now: I will always come for you. -But how can you be sure? -This is true love. Do you think this happens every day?"


You can get it at http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/princessbride.htm.
Because you know you want to.

I then spent the morning baking myself a cake. There was a show-stopping one on the cover of my December/January issue of the Taste of Home magazine. Alas, my attempt only sort of resembled that beautiful picture, but it turned out tasty enough. :o)

I called my mom around lunch time and she said she'd come into town and take the kids and I to The RB for lunch. It's a little drive-in restaurant that been in town since 1945 and was originally called The Root Beer Stand. My family lived right behind it on Warren Street for a couple of years and I remember walking over often for their delicious fish and chips or hamburgers. Definite favorite.



(Old school photo from about 1967)

Ross got home around 4:00 and we got ready for our date. My cousin Jared's darling 14 year old daughter, Jayden, came and watched the kids for us so we could go out on a Wednesday night. I guess I have this thing about doing something to celebrate a birthday on the actual day, so it was nice of her to come on a school night!

Before we left I got some presents from my husband and children. They gave me a bag filled with a new pair of shoes, some fun new pajama pants, and the movie "The Young Victoria". I said this on my Facebook page, but -- WOW! -- did I love that movie! So fabulous. I'd done a report on Queen Victoria my senior year in high school and so I knew some about her life. It was amazing to see it on screen. It only covered a few years, but it was romantic and dramatic and the costuming was exquisite! It's no wonder that it won the Oscar for Best Costume Design. It was also very
clean which is such a rarity these days that I'm grateful to find a movie that is.

In the spirit of being picture happy, which I have a tendency to be on this blog, here's a few examples of the gorgeous dresses and romance from the film:









(And yes, 3 of them are just of her wedding dress, but I love all three. And perhaps I should have just done a post on this movie all by itself!!!)

Ross and I went to a restaurant in town called On Broadway. Yes, it is on Broadway Street. Clever. ;o) It's a place I've always wondered about since I was a little girl, but I'd never been. I'm pleased to say I enjoyed it and it was nice for a fancy-ish date. We drove around town and did a little shopping afterward and that was our simple, but pleasant birthday evening.

The internet is a fun thing and as silly as it is, I really love getting birthday wishes from people on my Facebook page that I wouldn't normally hear from. I love staying connected and it was fun to check my page all day to see who sent me a little well-wishing note.

Here's the kids and I with my cake. I had to put up two pictures because Luke's face is so funny in both of them. There were a couple where he was smiling or laughing, but these are classic.




This next one is my girls and I with Jayden in the background. Those new shoes I'm wearing are 4 inch heels! Never had any quite that high. It was an adventure walking as I worked to break them in, but they are fun anyway.


And last of all, here's me being silly. I had to get a pic of these great pajama pants. My boys have Batman and Superman jammies and now I have some of my own BatGirl pj's! And they are purple to boot! The lace detail on the bottom is awesome because I know that when I think of superheroes lace is usually what comes to mind. Doesn't it for you? ;o)


Hooray for 33!

3 comments:

Party of Five said...

Thank you for having another birthday. and I LOVE the lace on the batgirl pj's. So chic. (is that how you spell sheek? who knows) Anyway, my word verification is enauria- which I think sounds very much like something someone would name thier child thinking that it's "so unique and amazing and no one will have that name!"...... even though it's just a made up word and not a real name in any way, shape, or form (possibly someone living in utah.....it's a common problem around here...... just sayin')

Celeste said...

Happy Birthday Janet! It looks like it was a fun one! Very impressed with the cake--it looks super yummy!

chelleandgary said...

Janet Diane! I love you! And this post makes me miss you even more! You are the cutest... I love the mushy quote, the pictures of the movie, and especially the jammies picture. Loving you and hope to see you someday! ( At least we will talk soon!)