
Valentine's Day can bring on many emotions. I know so many people who think it's just a holiday that the greeting card companies made up. Or there's those who hate the day because they don't have someone to share it with and feel that that fact is glaringly obvious every February 14th. Then there's people that love all the "candy, flowers, chocolate, promises you don't intend to keep" (to quote Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast) and go all out.
Personally, I've always enjoyed it even when I didn't have anyone to share it with. I guess I just felt optimistic that maybe something special would happen (no, nothing ever did) and I knew that eventually I would have a sweetheart. I was engaged before I spent a Valentine's Day with anyone, but I have always been a "mush-head" about all things romance. I spent many hours thinking and dreaming and talking late into the night with my friends and cousins about all those wonderful things we hoped would happen to us.
I've also just been in a mushy mood lately. I've really been loving and appreciating my husband. I still love romantic movies, songs, books, clips on YouTube. You name it. I eat it up and really enjoy it!
In honor of my mood, the month, all the people I love, I decided I wanted to post some of my favorite romantic things. I'd like to take credit for this idea, but it's not original to me. Just the same, I'm looking forward to finding and sharing all the little things that have given me thrills, a swoop in my stomach, made me cry or laugh or whatever over the years.
To begin, let me share a clip from one of my all time favorite shows, The Torkelsons. It was a show that only lasted one season. (Sort of. I'm not sure if the revamp "Almost Home" counts.) It was on in 1991 when I was 14, a freshman in high school, and during which time I was in the middle of a crush on an older boy named Jamie. It's main character was a 14 year old girl named Dorothy Jane. She loved poetry and romance. She talked to "The Man in the Moon" from her bedroom window. She had a crush on the too-old-for-her boy next door. Wow, could I relate! (Yes, I know I am a big dork.)
Anyway, here's one of my favorite scenes from an episode called "The Ice Princess". (I highly recommend watching the whole episode if you're feeling mushy too.) The best part is Dorothy Jane's monologue from the part where the music starts. Love how she says, "I'm a bundle of feelings. I feel 24 hours all day and all night." It's just so good.
I also love this sound clip. It's from a Cary Grant movie called "None But the Lonely Heart". I've never seen it, but I love this clip. Sometimes we act the way we do and feel the things we feel because it just needs to be part of us. I think I talked to Jamie about 5 times in the two and a half years I had a school girl crush on him. I'm pretty sure he knew, his friends knew, people who didn't even know me knew. Pathetic, but part of me and I love the memories of that time in my life.
And last of all, for tonight anyway, I want to share a favorite "hopeful" love song. It is called "En Attendant Ses Pas" which roughly means "While Waiting For His Steps". (The basic English translation is on this video. Just ignore all the pics of Celine vamping for the camera!) It's pretty self explanatory. I love the upbeat tune and optimism of it. There's no need to lament not having a lover. We can still make ourselves all we should be while we wait for someone to add more. :o)
P.S. Yes, I know that "romantical" doesn't sound like a real word. I read some debate online about whether or not it actually was. It sounds fun for my post title though, so I'm going with it!
No comments:
Post a Comment