
Raise your hand out there in cyberspace if you're getting a little sick from all this sugary, mushy stuff I've been posting lately. Me too! I'm ready for something light-hearted.
I accidentally came across three shorts on YouTube the other day. The first one was listed on my page as a video being "watched now", so I clicked on it. They really made me laugh and are so true! Here's what the makers have to say:
"In this day and age, all the beautifully tragic and emotional romantic situations from older movies and books are a lot more difficult to come by. Lost loves, missed opportunities, lovers' quests...are all taking on new shapes and forms.. This new series of shorts might give you an idea of what we mean."
Just for fun I'm also including a clip that contrasts two scenes from two different movies. "You've Got Mail" which is a remake of "The Shop Around the Corner". I like both movies, but it's funny to see the differences.
My husband reads a lot of historical biographies and whenever there is an excerpt from a letter between spouses their word are so meaningful and well written. It makes me think of the scene in the movie "Anne of Avonlea" when Gilbert questions Anne on the way she has the characters in her story speak to each other. " 'Wilt thou love me, oh fairest of the fair?' Anne, nobody talks like that. In real life, she'd have pitched him." I suppose I agree with Gilbert, but it would be nice if we hadn't strayed so far from good language. All this shorthand texting instead of writing things out kind of ruins the meaning behind what we say!
This poem was published in 1984 before most of today's technology was around, but I like the thoughts in it. It's another Carol Lynn Pearson poem, because yes, I have a book of love poems by her if you haven't guessed.
Love Letters
It's a shame--
All this tenderness
Callously tossed into
Your mailbox
Between a utilities bill
And an ad
For motor tune-ups.
The postal service,
I propose,
Should have a special line
For love letters,
Should send them
The scenic route,
And deliver them
At sunset
With dignity
And--where possible--
A rose.
Ross and I don't have any love letters to share, but we do have old e-mails and instant messaging chats that I printed out and kept. I guess that's not quite the same as a hand-written, possibly perfumed letter that passed between us. :o)
2 comments:
Cute. I especially liked the Spanish one. I think that girl kind of looks like you.
I think my favorite was "I want the steak! You know I don't like chicken!" hehe.
Post a Comment